_______________________________

Click here to visit my essay blog!







Monday, December 20, 2010

Saint Francis of Assisi in His Tomb

Author's Note: This is my response to how this art piece inspired me. When Saint Francis of Assisi is looking down at the skull, questioning himself and his life, many things went through my mind while looking at it. The thought of death and how we humans can’t escape the notion of it can be intimidating.
.
.
.
Death-
The concept in which we cannot escape.
Hidden throughout all of our lives,
The unknown becoming eminent.
Peering at you, knowing your fate.
The innocence oblivious to it,
They all think not of what could become.
The opposing situation with the experienced ones,
All quite assured of their future step;
One much larger than ever before taken.
The grip of the hand;
Pulling each person one by one;
Death looking to keep you eternally.
.
.
Mortality-
The known which all choose not to accept;
Escapism not possible,
All are trapped inside the brutal notion.
The life that once was;
Followed by the death that must come.
Humanity becoming a major controversialist;
Debating between life and death.
Pros and cons presented for each;
Death’s cons outweighing the pros.
The question floating among each man’s mind,
“Is there really a superior of the two?”

5 comments:

  1. This was a cool poem, but I think you would convey your message better through a different form of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was really interesting how you put these two poems together. I really liked how you ended it with a ? and left the reader thinking. Although, I didn't really feel like the first poem completely fit the word death. At the end it did, but at the beginning it seemed like something else. (if that makes any sense)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Erin. The way you ended the poem with a question mark engages the reader. Even though I know what this piece of artwork looks like, others might not. I think that by putting the painting on it could help the reader envision what you are. Great job overall though, and great vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the poem. However like Derek said, you should convey your outlook on this concept through an essay or a fictional piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with Derek and Ryan. Like I think the message could have been described so much easier for the reader to understand. But the way that you did talk about how the two were almost the same (I think) was really neat. I don't think that I could have ever thought of it in that way. Nice job:)

    ReplyDelete