_______________________________

Click here to visit my essay blog!







Friday, June 4, 2010

A Day of Perfection

Author's Note: This is a romantic fiction story. Romance is something that everyone dreams of having a life full of, yet can't be accomplished. I am writing this for escapism to the reader.


I wake up, feeling my microfiber sheets, knowing that this will be the best day of my life! It was the first day of summer vacation, nine-thirty in the morning, and nothing planned on any calendar in the house. As I reached for the door to open my closet, my mother happily stepped into my room, holding a tray full of eggs sunny-side-up, crispy bacon, two slices of burnt toast, and a completely full glass of pulp-free orange juice. She called,

"Marcus! Your food is waiting on your desk. How was your sleep?"

"It was fine. I just want to get outside as soon as I can, so I can shoot some hoops on my new basketball hoop. Is that okay?"

"I don't care, you do whatever."

That was what I called a perfect morning. No list of twenty chores to do, no nagging about cleaning my room, and even not even a reminder to take a shower! How wonderful!

After breakfast was finished in a hurry, I ran outside to look at the new basket. You see, my dad just put in the base of the hoop on Thursday, then the professionals put the rest of it together yesterday night. It was now time to show off my new moves!

Wouldn't you know it, right as I was about to shoot my first shot, my dad pulled in the driveway with his newly washed Grand Prix, having the largest smile on his face. I probably figured that he had won the lottery or something, because he does buy a ticket every Saturday morning. Apparently he must have figured out the winner, and it had to have been him. So I had nothing to do except to ask him.

"Hey dad, what's the big smi..."

"There's no time for that! Guess what, guess what! I just won the South Carolina Lottery! Can you believe it!"

Actually, I could, because he was bound to win after four years of buying those cheap tickets. But I wanted to cheer him up a little, for it was the best day ever!

"No dad, I mean that's awesome! How much was it for? Huh??"

"Three smackaroos! That's right, three million dollars!"

"You better go tell mom! She probably already heard us screaming the news!"

"Okay, I will. How do you like your new hoop?"
"I haven't shot anything yet, but I am doing so right now. See you around."

"Alright, have fun."

Finally, it was time I could finally shoot some baskets. This was what I was looking forward to this whole week! Perfection had struck my day!

After about three hours of shooting hoops, I felt it was time to go inside to eat lunch. My mom said that she was going to have my dad grill some steak, my favorite meal ever. Besides salmon, nothing compares to my dad's grilled steak. With the steak usually comes fluffy mashed potatoes, crispy fresh green beans (if not asparagus), and a basket of warm doughy biscuits. A glass of milk is always present, too. I went and asked my dad if it was close to the time to prepare the meal, and he replied with an excited 'yes'. He was always happy to grill steak in the summer. That was one of the many things he was a master at.

Dinner was at last finished, so I then had the entire day to watch the NBA Finals, the Cleveland Cavaliers against the Los Angeles Lakers. Boy, did I ever want the Cavs to win. It was game five, and whoever won this game had a pretty good chance of taking bragging rights. Not many teams come back from a three-two disadvantage. Anyway, I got everything ready to watch the perfect game on my perfect day! Nothing could possibly ruin this day, for everything seemed so flawless.
Things were great at halftime, as the score became fifty-six to forty-three. I was getting pretty exhausted, and I had a great amount of faith in my team. So I decided I was going to sleep, regretfully ending my wonderful day. Every day always has an ending, and this one had finally occurred. As I slowly trudged my way to bed, I discovered all my clothes were clean, and waited on my bed to wear in the near future. I gently laid them on the floor accepting the fact that I'd have to put them away tomorrow. I didn't care, as long as I could just relax now. Everything was perfect, and nothing could stop this perfection any more. The day was over, tomorrow anxiously awaiting me. Oh, how marvelous summer is going to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment