_______________________________

Click here to visit my essay blog!







Friday, June 4, 2010

A Day With Syme

Author's Note: This is a fictional narrative at the vantage point of Syme, a character in 1984. Syme is very strongwilled, therefore I felt I needed to express his point of view.


A Fiction story about 1984
by Matt Thurman

Ahh, at last, the final page for the Newspeak dictionary has been published! That old Smith has no idea of what he’s talking about. This is great, I mean plusgood. Big Brother can finally reign over the entire community now without any distractions! I swear, that Winston guy is going to disappear sometime soon, I hope. The Ministry Spies will take him far, far away from here. When London hears about his disappearance, all the other stragglers with no life will finally step up to the plate. Then, maybe life will be somewhat doubleplusgood.

“Hey, Syme, did ya hear that they got the dumb dictionary finished? It’s only gonna ruin London that much more. Life will be horrible!”

“You mean ungood! Don’t ever speak ungoodly about Big Brother’s decisions for the community! He will only make it better!” I was furious with him! Why must he always act so immaturely? I was right about him disappearing. It could even happen this week, possibly tonight. He can't even write a story about the government without saying a hundred things ungood about The Party or Big Brother.

It's fine that I am ripping on Winston in this manner, for it is Hate Week. Should it be Love Week or Kindness Week, I would actually be saying nice things about Winston. But it's really challenging to recite kind things about old Smith, for he lacks superior characteristics. However, it is Saturday, which means the end of the week. I'm a little sad. I enjoy Hate Week. It seems very queer, yet I enjoy hating others in the community. It becomes a great venting process.

"Do you ever feel as if Big Brother is completely taking over our lives?"

Did he really just ask that?

"I mean, he made a whole new language, and he watches us 24/7 on the telescreen, and everyone does the same group activities as everyone in the entire country of London! I can't believe it! He's taking over our lives! I don't know what I'm going to do, maybe just..."

"ENOUGH ALREADY! Do you realize how annoying you are when you talk in that manner? The new language does us much good. It cut the amount of words sixty percent of what the amount was in Oldspeak. The point is, Big Brother wants us all to have a better life in the vision that he sees it. Not how the community sees it."

"So it's a completely Communist region?! Is that what you are saying he's transforming our country into? Or should I say his country? I guess it isn't really our country as it is his, now."

"STOP WITH YOUR IGNORANCE RIGHT THIS MOMENT!" I couldn't believe how unhappy I was. I felt like turning him into The Party right then.

"You know what?"

He seemed to calm down a little.

"Maybe Big Brother is just brainwashing every single person! It might seem they are following Big Brother's footsteps, but do they really know what they're doing? Do they?"

I didn't answer.

"Do they?!"

"Yes, I believe they do." I was as calm as possible. I didn't want his outrage to grow, if it could. "Oh, sorry, I have to leave to go to a meeting with The Ministry representatives. Important meeting!" I didn't actually have one, but I figured that he was too mad too realize that there were no meetings on Saturday and Sunday. And it worked!

Anyways, I had the rest of the day to myself. I had no idea of what I was going to do. Therefore, I decided to take a long, peaceful nap, where no maniac exists to disturb me. I rested there for about an hour until I finally fell asleep completely. That was a picture of a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment